Show simple item record

dc.contributor.advisorSeaver, Earl J.en_US
dc.contributor.authorAndalina, Elissa Marieen_US
dc.date.accessioned2016-12-05T21:03:18Z
dc.date.available2016-12-05T21:03:18Z
dc.date.issued2002
dc.identifier.urihttp://commons.lib.niu.edu/handle/10843/17110
dc.descriptionIncludes bibliographical references.en_US
dc.description.abstractEveryday communication is essential. Not being able to communicate efficiently can pose many threats to a person with a communicative disorder. Throughout the process of my literature review, I have come to realize that the world of the speech-language pathologist is one of heterogeneity, and one must be able to expect the unexpected. As a future speech-language pathologist, I will be working with adults and children from diverse cultural backgrounds. To add to me knowledge as an undergraduate, I chose to research the topic of cranial-facial anomalies, because of my deep-rooted interest in helping children and adults. I chose to conduct a literature review, which entailed a great deal of research about the various aspects and consequences that children being born with a cranial-facial anomaly are faced with during development. The sources of my research included websites from the Cleft Lip and Palate Association and the International Institute For Birth Defects, resourceful literature from books, and plentiful support and guidance from my advisor, Dr. Seaver. Dr. Seaver fostered my knowledge by offering me with his personal experiences and intellect as a professional and specialist within the area of cranial-facial anomalies. The aspects in which I researched included speech and language development, embryology, surgical management, and various otologic and audiologic problems. The literature review also encompasses other various aspects, including dental and feeding complications, and educational and social issues. Upon my completion ofthe literature review, I feel that I have gained a greater appreciation and understanding of individuals with communicative disorders. This literature review enabled me to see through the eyes of these individuals, and feel what they often times are experiencing. It is devastating when the family initially learns that their child has been born with a facial disfigurement. As I approach my entrance into the graduate program for speech-language pathology, I hope to utilize my newly learned knowledge regarding these very emotional communicative issues.en_US
dc.format.extent61 unnumbered pagesen_US
dc.language.isoen_USen_US
dc.publisherNorthern Illinois Universityen_US
dc.rightsNIU theses are protected by copyright. They may be viewed from Huskie Commons for any purpose, but reproduction or distribution in any format is prohibited without the written permission of the authors.en_US
dc.subjectcranial-facial anomaliesen_US
dc.subjectspeechen_US
dc.subjectlanguageen_US
dc.titleThe consequences of cranial-facial anomaliesen_US
dc.type.genreDissertation/Thesisen_US
dc.typeTexten_US
dc.contributor.departmentSchool of Allied Health and Communicative Disordersen_US
dc.description.degreeB.S. (Bachelor of Science)en_US

Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record