Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorStange, Meredith A. G.en_US
dc.date.accessioned2020-07-09T18:37:54Z
dc.date.available2020-07-09T18:37:54Z
dc.date.issued2020-03
dc.identifier.citationMeredith A. G. Stange, Voting Like a Duck: Reflecting on a Year of Legal Writing Voting Rights, 24 L. Writing J. (2020).en_US
dc.identifier.urihttps://commons.lib.niu.edu/handle/10843/22626
dc.description.abstractOver the years, in various legal writing forums, I have heard that legal writing professors should try to “look like ducks.” This means we should publish, teach doctrinal courses, and otherwise do everything we can to make ourselves look like the tenure-track, non-legal writing faculty. The theory is that the more we look like tenure-track faculty, the harder it will be to treat those of us who are not tenure track differently. This has always bothered me because it seems to minimize the work that legal writing professors do and makes it seem that in order to have value, we need to be something else. I have often said, “I’m not a duck, I’m a chicken!” Yet at the first faculty meeting of the Fall 2019-20 academic year, I “looked like a duck,” doing something I never thought I would do. I made a motion. It was nothing earth-shattering, just a routine motion to approve the minutes from the last faculty meeting of 2018. However, the opportunity for a legal writing professor to make even such a basic motion at a faculty meeting was decades in the making.en_US
dc.language.isoen_USen_US
dc.publisherLegal Writing Instituteen_US
dc.subjectlawen_US
dc.subjectlegal educationen_US
dc.subjectlegal writingen_US
dc.subjectfaculty statusen_US
dc.subjectvoting rightsen_US
dc.subjecttenureen_US
dc.titleVoting Like a Duck: Reflecting on a Year of Legal Writing Voting Rightsen_US
dc.type.genreArticleen_US
dc.typeTexten_US
dc.contributor.departmentCollege of Lawen_US

Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record