An evaluation of the accounting program of Northern Illinois University, 1957-59
Dykstra, Charles Theodore
MetadataShow full item record
Until 1955, Northern. Illinois University was known as Northern Illinois State Teachers College. On July 1, 1955. however, the State Legislature changed the name from Northern Illinois State Teachers College to Northern Illinois State Collage. The legislative action which brought about the name change also authorized the college to broaden its educational services by offering academic work in areas other than teacher education. Therefore, in July, 1955, the Teachers College Board granted permission for the college to add curricula leading to the degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science. The name Northern Illinois State Collage was changed to Northern Illinois University as a result of legislation enacted by the Seventh General Assembly of the state of Illinois.1 All students in the business curriculum at Northern Illinois University were under the sane program until 1955, namely business education, which had, as its sole purpose, the training of teachers of business subjects. With the change of policy of the school came a change in the policy of the business department, and in 1957, the business curriculum was divided into several options, namely; accounting, marketing, management, finance, secretarial, and two options of business education designed for the preparation of teachers of the business subjects. 1. State of Illinois, "General Information," Undergraduate Catalog (of) Northern Illinois University, LIII (November, 1958), No. 1, p. 31.