Show simple item record

dc.contributor.advisorLee, Cheng-Houen_US
dc.contributor.authorSidikman, Irisen_US
dc.date.accessioned2016-05-10T18:46:04Z
dc.date.available2016-05-10T18:46:04Z
dc.date.issued2016
dc.identifier.urihttp://commons.lib.niu.edu/handle/10843/16397
dc.descriptionMy degree is actually a B.M. (Bachelor of Music). I also performed a full-length recital of contemporary cello music which, for copyright reasons, I cannot upload here.en_US
dc.description.abstractAs a music major, my capstone is a combination of my required senior recital and a research component in the form of program notes. Both my recital repertoire and my program notes are focused on one overarching question: what happens when you take the cello, often times a supporting instrument or a member of a larger ensemble in contemporary writing, and make it the focus? This is a topic very important to me as a performer and a presenter of contemporary works. Contemporary practice and electroacoustic music have been my focus for the last few years here at NIU, and I strongly believe that in a world where technology is everywhere and young artists are striving for innovative ideas, they are the future of music performance and composition. The recital consists of 4 works: one cello solo suite utilizing extended techniques (Benjamin Britten Solo Cello Suite) one solo with pre-recorded tape accompaniment (Cello Counterpoint), one solo with percussion accompaniment (Little Eye) and one duo for cello and steel pan (21). By picking all works that lie outside of a traditional chamber setting, I am enforcing the creative vision for the recital- one of contemporary works with a unique cello-centered focus.en_US
dc.format.extent2 pagesen_US
dc.language.isoen_USen_US
dc.publisherNorthern Illinois Universityen_US
dc.rightsNIU theses are protected by copyright. They may be viewed from Huskie Commons for any purpose, but reproduction or distribution in any format is prohibited without the written permission of the authors.en_US
dc.subjectmusicen_US
dc.subjectcelloen_US
dc.titlePutting Cello at the Center: Cello and Contemporary Music of the Last 15 Yearsen_US
dc.title.alternativeSenior Recital Program Notesen_US
dc.type.genreDissertation/Thesisen_US
dc.typeTexten_US
dc.contributor.departmentSchool of Musicen_US
dc.description.degreeB.A. (Bachelor of Arts)en_US

Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record